The night was chaotic because of the death of Ly Van Luong 1The night was chaotic because of the death of Ly Van Luong 1

At around 10:00 p.m. on February 6 (local time), the rumor that ophthalmologist Ly Van Luong died of acute pneumonia caused by the new coronavirus (nCoV) spread quickly on Chinese social networks.

Doctor Ly Van Luong before and after being infected with nCoV.

At 10:40 p.m., the Global Times newspaper of People’s Daily, the mouthpiece of the Chinese Communist Party, confirmed on Twitter that Li had passed away.

Around 11:30 p.m., the World Health Organization (WHO) expressed `deep sadness` about the incident on Twitter, but quickly deleted the post.

The turning point occurred at 0:38 a.m. on February 7, when Wuhan Central Hospital announced that Ly was alive, but in critical condition and doctors were trying their best to cure him.

Global Times at 0:57 tweeted that Ly `is still receiving emergency treatment, reporters heard crying in the intensive care room`, adding that the doctor had a cardiac arrest at around 9:30 pm the previous night.

However, this move is said to only be intended to appease public anger.

This information was later proven through many social media posts, including screenshots of conversations between doctors, showing that the hospital tried to resuscitate Ly to avoid people’s anger.

However, the wave of outrage on Chinese social networks did not stop but continued to rise at around 2:00 a.m., when the phrase `We want freedom of speech` became a trend on Weibo, but was later censored.

At 3:48 a.m., Wuhan Central Hospital announced on Weibo that Dr. Li passed away at 2:58 a.m. despite efforts to save him.

The series of conflicting information about Dr. Ly’s health status seems to `deepen` the public’s pain.

The acute pneumonia epidemic originating from Wuhan city, Hubei province, was first announced by the government on December 31, 2019.

On December 30, 2019, Dr. Ly sent a message to a WeChat chat group of 150 doctors who are former classmates, warning about 7 cases of virus infection that he thought were similar to SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome).

That night, Wuhan officials summoned Ly after discovering the message.

`As a journalist, I avoid writing that the time of Dr. Ly’s death was the early morning of February 7,` Muyi Xiao, editor of the online magazine ChinaFile, wrote on Twitter.

`After waking up tomorrow, I beg everyone not to forget what happened last night, for the sake of my own future,` one Weibo account wrote.

Avatar of Xavier

By Xavier

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *